Earlier this year we spotted the wonderful Zoe on Instagram, she’s always creating beautiful things so check out her page!
We reached out to Zoe and asked if she’d kindly like to get creative with some freeze-dry products & the results were amazing. It’s taken us WAY too long to share these recipes but we promise the wait was worth it… first up, Strawberry Dust Sponge with Blueberry White Chocolate Chantilly.
Strawberry Dust Sponge w Blueberry White Chocolate Chantilly
100g Plain Flour (You can totally use GF flour here.)
15g Strawberry Dust (You could use any freeze dried dust)
½ tsp Baking Powder
120 Caster Sugar
75 Melted Butter (that’s cooled slightly) (You can also use DF butter)
- Preheat the oven to 180*c
- Place the Eggs and Caster Sugar in your electric mixer. Mixing on the highest speed for 15 minutes. It will have tripled in volume, thickened and be pale in colour.
- Sift the Flour, Strawberry Dust and Baking Powder into your thickened mix. Gently fold through ideally with a metal spoon that has some holes. Lastly add the cooled Melted Butter and fold through until combined.
- I suggest putting a ring of baking parchment around the edge of the tins, some Butter on the sides of the tins will allow it to stick. Divide the batter between to round tins. Don’t tap the tins to make smooth on top, use a palette knife, we want to keep as much air in as possible.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes. It will be done when its springy to the touch and slightly golden on top. Once baked remove carefully from the tin and allow to cool completely.
Blueberry White Chocolate Chantilly
150g White Chocolate
20g Blueberry Dust (You can use any free dried dust here too)
- Gently heat 200g of the Cream to just below boiling point.
- Add the White Chocolate and stir until its all melted.
- Add this mixture to the Cream and Blueberry Dust. Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, whip until soft peaks form.
100g Sugar Syrup
- To make this you simply add 100g Caster Sugar and 100g Water. Heat until the Sugar is dissolved.
Extra Freeze Dried Fruit
- Slice your cakes in half. You will then have 4 layers.
- Alternate between Cake, Sugar Syrup, Blueberry White Chocolate Chantilly and a sprinkling of Freeze Dried fruits between the layers as well.
- Once you get to the final layer. Spread the rest of the Blueberry White Chocolate Chantilly on top. Clean the side with a palette knife or the flat side of a Dough Scraper. This gives us the naked cake look. Sprinkle some Freeze Dried Fruit on top. Enjoy. If not eating straight away it can be stored in the fridge & also freezes extremely well for those late night treats.
Meet the Maker
We’ve pinched this little blurb about Zoe from this Facebook post from the Three Mills Bakery in Canberra.
From the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Zoe joined the Three Mills Bakery family this year as their in-house chef and gluten free expert. She has also been collaborating on the Beyond Bread & Butter cook book.
Zoe has worked in prominent restaurants and establishments such as 3 hatted Attica in Melbourne and 2 Michelin star ‘Core by Clare Smyth’ in London. We sat down for a chat about food and life.